Friday, June 8, 2018

Things that confound😒--and blessings

Things that confound😒

Has anyone out there figured out how sleeves turn inside out in the washer?
Or, how pant legs bunch up in the dryer?
Or, even, that  no matter how closely you follow the care instructions printed on the tag, your permanent press clothes must be ironed? Sometimes I want to wear wrinkly clothes to see if anyone would notice and comment😀
Why has the correct grammatical use of "a" and "an" changed?
Why do people feel threatened by intelligence?
Who is the "real CEO" at Wal-mart? ROFLMAO---more later:)

I had a list of thing that confound, but, like things that confound, I won't find the list until this blog posts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I got in a ditch of confusion regarding one of my ancestors. Had to step back and try a new tactic/way to approach the HUGE amount of info available but, that somehow didn't make sense. Hmm. Decided to watch Genealogy Roadshow and Finding Your Roots on PBS for inspiration. GR came to New Mexico and featured a Navajo woman that hadn't seen her father since she was three. Didn't know anything about his family either. Her mother did mention that he was a Code Talker but not much more. The GR researchers found this woman's aunt through DNA results. The aunt was extremely happy to meet her niece again after so many years, and confirmed that her father was indeed a Code Talker.
One of the interesting things revealed about the difficulty of tracing Native American lines is because one person can have or use many different names. ¿Que? Rewind. One person may have or use many different names. Simple explanation: "during certain ceremonies, location, or phases of life, a Native American uses an appropriate name." Talk about an eye opener. AND---things that confound?

Another nugget that nudged my info overloaded brain was that many Hispanic Jews changed last names during the Spanish Inquisition. Maybe I need to explore that line. Maybe I'll look into another person for now. I knew this and it went into overloaded memory brain bank.

The Jim Crow Law was mentioned during several of the PBS programs. For some strange reason this brought to mind my mother telling me that her parents, Grandpa Julian and Grandma Deluvina, never married. I remember asking my Gramps and he confirmed that nugget of information. But it was no big deal at the time because I wasn't actively pursuing genealogy.

Why Jim Crow you ask? I did too. Strange. Anyway I looked up Jim Crow laws by state. GASP!

Arizona had this on Wikipedia:

1864: Miscegenation [Statute] Marriages between whites with "Negroes, Indians, Mongolians" were declared illegal and void. The word "Descendants" does not appear in the statute.
1901: Miscegenation [Statute] Revision of the 1865 statute which added the word "descendants" to the list of minority groups. The revised statutes also stated that marriages would be valid if legal where they were contracted, but noted that Arizona residents could not evade the law by going to another state to perform the ceremony.
1909: Education [Statute] School district trustees were given the authority to segregate black students from white children only where there were more than eight Negro pupils in the school district. The legislature passed the law over a veto by the governor.
1911-1962: Segregation, miscegenation, voting [Statute] Passed six segregation laws: four against miscegenation and two school segregation statutes, and a voting rights statute that required electors to pass a literacy test. The state's miscegenation laws prohibited blacks as well as Indians and Asians from marrying whites, and were not repealed until 1962.
1927: Education [Statute] In areas with 25 or more black high school students, an election would be called to determine if these pupils should be segregated in separate but equal facilities.
1928: Miscegenation [State Code] Forbid marriages between persons of the Caucasian, Asian and Malay races.
1942: Miscegenation [Judicial Decision] Supreme Court of Arizona interprets anti-miscegenation statute in a manner which prohibits persons of mixed racial heritage from marrying anyone. Court acknowledges that its interpretation is "absurd" and recommends that Legislature pass amendment thereto.[4]
1956: Miscegenation [Statute] Marriage of person of "Caucasian blood with Negro, Mongolian, Malay, or Hindu" void. Native Americans were originally included in an earlier statute, but were deleted by a 1942 amendment.

New Mexico had this mention on Wikipedia:
  • "Separate rooms [shall] be provided for the teaching of pupils of African descent, and [when] said rooms are so provided, such pupils may not be admitted to the school rooms occupied and used by pupils of Caucasian or other descent."

How ABSURD!

My grandmother was more Native American than Hispanic. And was born in AZ. Is this why they never married? Who cares? The explanation died with them. My grandfather died 17 years after my Grandma and stated he didn't remarry because there was only one Deluvina in the world. They were together since 1911. My oldest aunt was born in Flagstaff AZ in 1912.

So needless to say, but I will, Jim Crow laws were started as a way to "segregate Negroes" from them poor White folk but also extended to other ethnic people. Ugh! Thank God that segregation and discrimination was outlawed by the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Does it still happen? Yes! Move on people! We all bleed red!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay. On to some blessings😚

My sister bought a motorcycle! Her first 500 mile trip was to Ruidoso. Awesome! I'm so proud of her adventurous nature.

Her new grandson is sooo cute! Smiles all the time:) And long. He's going to be tall.💖

Did I ever mention that I have a "baby brother"?  👦We (brother, sister, me) found out about him on the day we left my father's cremains at Santa Fe National Cemetery. I hadn't spoken to dear ole dad since I was 14. I was 32 when he blew his head off. We were sitting in my backyard and a process server handed a Cease and Desist from my then 5 1/2 month old brother's maternal grandfather. We probably would otherwise have never known anything about him.
I had a relationship with him until I moved to Silver City in 2001. I mistakenly understood that the man his mother was going to marry would adopt my brother. I hate when that happens. Don't you? Being misinformed? Or led to believe? Genetic?
Anyway...I started to look for him when I retired and moved back home. Finally made the connection last month!
Hard to believe that he is now 34 years old and has a son of his own who is 14! So I have another nephew! He was a Christian rapper in Albuquerque for a season of his life. He gave me a CD. Sounds pretty good.
This was definitely a blessing. We've had dinner a couple of times. I told him what little I could about our father and showed him my ancestry family tree. We're also having his saliva cooked by Ancestry and 23andme. So should have results soon. Making tracing dad's family somewhat easier..

I started working part-time as a cashier at Wal-mart. Will hopefully save enough money for an Ireland trip next year. God willing. Working some crazy hours. And as in all lines of jobs, there are some unbelievable characters.👶👶👶 Maybe I'll blog about these interesting ones next time.Have to remember Titus 3:10 and Ephesians 6:11

Thank You Lord for the much needed rain. You are so good to me.

And how has your day been?

Be blessed

No comments:

Post a Comment